13 November 2008

A World of Their Own

Technology provides new ways to communicate through networks and online circuits as well as other means of social media. It has opened the doors for so many who struggle with socializing. We have started to take a look at how isolating this technology can possibly be, but the antisocial creature within me is thinking quite the opposite. Online environments especially provide an outlet for individuals to socialize. For those who have always been more kept to themselves or had trouble communicating face to face, a whole new world has been created. In it, the anti socialites finally have a place to call their own.

The web and other new technologies are not going to be the death of socialization. Yes, we do need to adjust and learn how to fit this all into our lives. The following video gives a great example of how at first, there is a lot to social media. However, we simply need to work through the details and apply it to our lives as it will work for us. Like the pickle ice cream lovers you’ll hear about in this video, not everyone is going to find the social network they need in the web. They will instead need to have more ties to “real” communities and converse face to face. Others though will blossom in online communities and find interests as well as individuals that are vital to their social being.



As we dive into Michael Bugeja’s Interpersonal Divide, part of me thinks I’d make a good case study for Bugeja. Beware though, as I think I would prove to the contrary of what Bugeja theorizes. I grew up in a world that was basically free of technology or “social media,” feasting instead on books and long phone conversations with friends. For almost all of my childhood years, the most advanced I ever got in regards to technology was a Sony CD player. Yes, the very early version that would skip at the slightest bump. You didn’t dare think of listening to a CD in the car on that thing. So with not a lot of technology and certainly no exposure to an online world, I turned out to be one of the most anti-social people you’ll probably ever know.

I know what you are thinking – really? Well, I do a good job of hiding it but honestly, socializing in a “real” social environment drains the heck out of me. I can’t stand it. So, Mr. Bugeja, what happened to me? Did reading books isolate me so much that I prefer staying at home and curling up with a good book? Maybe.

But the real truth here is that contrary to what Mr. Bugeja may theorize, social media, especially the web itself, has helped me to become more social. Years ago I wouldn’t have even thought about going to the mall and I especially hated going to class with all those people! And then I got online. I love the online world because for once I can communicate in an environment I feel more comfortable as well as in a way (writing) I want to with others. I have more friends now than ever and while I haven’t exactly “met” them all, I wouldn’t miss the opportunity to do so if I had to chance to meet them in person. I think the best part of being online is that I can be there for people whenever even if distance separates us or our busy lives are out of hand and our schedules don’t allow us to meet up. Now, it is easy to meet up online or send a few encouraging words by email or IM. This is an environment that works for me. I guess you could say its my flavor of ice cream which I actually think is going to sell pretty well.

1 comment:

Matt T. said...

Yours is a really good argument against Bujega's theories, and one that I'm not sure he considered when he wrote his text. I also think that the web can be a tool to allow more face-to-face interaction. It is by actually talking about some of the things that I have found on the Internet, that I have been able to have some pretty long discussions with my friends. While Bugeja's theories may apply to some people, you have shown that they certainly don't apply to everybody.